You are likely to encounter an insect every day. Comprising an estimated 80% of the Earth’s species, there are an estimated 10 quintillion individual insects and 200 million for every human. With that large quantity, they can become pests very quickly. Being able to identify, locate and exterminate them can be key in helping any problems they may be causing go away quickly. That is why we’re here.
We have put together a more extensive Insect Identification Resource Guide on our webpage. But, let’s look at some basics of identifying some ordinary insects.
- Ants: Pollinators, scavengers, recyclers. Invade to forage for food. Pharoah ants carry infection, carpenter ants cause structural damage.
- Bed Bugs: Feed on human blood during sleep, causing welts that itch and emotional distress.
- Household Pests: Cockroaches- spread bacteria, contaminate food supplies, provoke allergies/asthma. Carpet Beetles- destructive. Earwigs, silverfish- annoying.
- Nuisance Insects: Problematic when in buildings. Crickets- disrupt sleep. Spiders- painful bites. Flies, mites and lady bugs- annoying, cause minor damage; can carry disease (flies)
- Pantry Pests: Beetles, moths and weevils- contaminate and destroy food.
- Problem Insects: Outdoor dwellers. Box elder bugs, centipedes, pillbugs, thrips. A nuisance if they invade in numbers.
- Stinging Insects: Bees, wasps- painful stings; can cause life-threatening anaphylactic shock
- Wood Destroying Incsects: Termites, carpenters ants and bees, powder post beetles- damage homes and businesses
For more information or help with insects, call your New Jersey pest control today!