For meat lovers, there is nothing better than biting into a juicy steak or delicious hamburger. Now carnivores have something more consuming too much red meat to be worried about. According to USNews Health on November 9, 2012, being bitten by a tick and then consuming red meat could have dangerous consequences for some people.
No tick bite is good and all should be avoided when spending time outdoors. Research on the Lone Star Tick has recently shown that being bitten by the tick and then consuming red meat can trigger an allergic reaction. The studies have shown that some people have suffered from minor allergic reactions, some have major reactions, and some have experienced life threatening anaphylactic shock from eating red meat after being bitten by the Lone Star Tick.
The research has shown that problems have occurred for people who have been bitten by the tick and consumed red meat within three to six hours. Symptoms can be mild itching and hives or a death depending on the severity of the reaction to the bloodsucking pest.
The findings of the study were presented at the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology annual meeting in Anaheim, California. Researchers first discovered the problem with tick bites and red meat when they were trying to determine “why a certain cancer drug was causing severe allergic reactions in people in the southern states. As it turns out, the sugars in that drug are also present in beef, pork and cow’s milk.”
While the information is interesting and disturbing indeed, Monmouth County, NJ pest control professionals recommend that everyone protect themselves while working or playing outdoors why wearing an insect repellant that contains DEET. Regular pest control treatments by a licensed pest control professional will also help to keep harmful pests away from your home all year long.